Surrounded by woods at the base of the Alps in one of Bavaria’s most beautiful valleys, lies Kaufbeuren.
Once a Free Imperial Town, Kaufbeuren is very aware of its tradition and more than 1000 years of history. Medieval towers and walls, impressive houses, churches rich with art treasures, busy streets and quaint squares give the town its special, traditional, character.
In 1308 the Aktien Brewery of Kaufbeuren, along with it’s cellars, courtyard and barns, was donated to the citizens of Kaufbeuren by Henry Twinger, a wealthy local Baron (the paperwork still exists in Kaufbeuren museum) and the Aktien Brewery soon became well known in the region for their superb beers.
Aktien brewery grew and proceeded to purchase other breweries in Kaufbeuren before becoming one of Bavaria’s most important brewers by the 15th century.
To ensure only the highest quality beers would continue to be produced in Kaufbeuren, The Kaufbeuren Brewers Guild was formed in 1325 making a declaration that all beers produced in Kaufbeuren could only use the finest barley, hops, yeasts and the purest local waters. All other ingredients were banned.